Lyths in Uganda

dave.lyth@gmail.com helen.lyth@gmail.com

Saturday 14 August 2010

Fistula camp



Judith Goh was my first trainer in Sierra Leone, apart from Jerry, whom I took over from. She is of diminutive size, but great in terms of experience, dexterity, and speed. She came all the way from Australia for 2 weeks to help with the 53 fistula cases (included 13 obstetric tears) we had lined up. It was an excellent camp.


Most of the women were from the area I grew up in in S. Uganda, and some recalled my parents and grandparents! My boyhood Rukiga, Swahili, and now Lukonzo came in useful on ward rounds. Playing Scottish reels on my laptop further lightened the atmosphere in the recovery ward!


4 women, aged 18, 19, 20, and 30 have undergone 6 hour operations creating a new bladder from bowel (Mitoffanov for the technical) by Dr Frank and myself. Cecilia (photo) had hers 4 months ago, and Evas (photo), Judith and Grace this week