Lyths in Uganda

dave.lyth@gmail.com helen.lyth@gmail.com

Sunday 2 December 2007

100th fistula repair!



Yesterday I took the theatre staff to a restaurant to celebrate my 100th repair. Each case means challenge and excitement to me, but hard work and sometimes boredom for them in the 2-4 hour cases. Tom French, the bumptious nurse (next to me) who also does field trips to fetch patients said “The economy in Sierra Leoneans is wrecked by people preferring foreign chickens to local ones.” He then ordered a huge piece of foreign chicken for himself!

Learning has been a hard, bumpy and slow ride, a true West African experience, but my current Nigerian trainer (first on right) said “With more experience you will definitely get there.” Also “The set up here with Mercy Ships is very sound.” He has added a lot to my enjoyment and ability. Thank God.